Wednesday, November 12, 2008

This is personal

My hesitation is strong in posting this, I have written so much around this already. But it would be inauthentic to deny a growing voice in me that says to reach out, to speak loudly and to respectfully state that having some rights, some protection in "good" states and decriminalizing my orientation this decade is not good enough. This is unlikely to particularly offend anyone I know, but it likely is not on your list of priorities. Many have asked why civil partnership's aren't good enough, that patience will let rights naturally come about. To them I give Arkansas.

When people are told that their rights are not as worthy, it emboldens that "normal majority" as Anita Bryant put it. This is not just about marriage in California for me. It is about identifying what I believe to be the core social issue in play in the national discussion. It is about whether we acknowledge that equality IS for all people, or only one minority group at a time.

I ask you, not as a student, a tax payer, not as a part of any group we share, not as a neighbor or friend, but as a human being to stand up and act out your support. This Saturday at 10:30 Pacific time there will be protests in nearly every major city in every state and several other countries all organized since last Friday by the largest grassroots organization efforts I have ever seen. It will only succeed with the support of allies. Please come protest in your hometown. I canceled a trip to Portland I believe in this so strongly and I am shaking as I write this. Go to http://www.jointheimpact.com/ for information about your local area.

Thank you for hearing my voice crying into the normal majority striving to be heard.

No comments: