Sunday, January 25, 2009

What holds me together?

Phrased in various ways, this has been a driving question of late. What brings me happiness, a sense of worth? Where in my life do I experience joy, specifically in what I "do"? My current job does not. It has been a huge disappointment, largely due to external forces. Rather than dwelling the aspects of my job that slowly squeeze my soul of hope, I'm learning to question.

What are the areas and times I've felt the most satisfaction in my work?

Vision: I am a visionary. I see as full reality what could be and how to get there. Be it business development, spacial design, systems reorganization, ideology, interpersonal development... what excites me is to gather an initial idea, constraints and available resources and to leverage and expand them to realize the full potential of anything. There are no limits, save doubt and isolation.

People: There is nothing better in life than other people. Whatever the depth, relating to people, enticing their best and soothing their pain, appropriately getting to the root, is my greatest honor. I am intuitive with a strong sense of responsibility to those I connect with, facilitate and speak for. With any task or position, it is through relationships that any good is created, perpetuated or enjoyed.

Project: Adventure has a beginning, end and rebirth in my reality. The balance of risk, reward, safety and stability all point toward projects. I revel in the development of an idea, like a farmer cultivating crops. Seeing it grow, always mindful of what must be done 10 steps ahead in the constant march onward of a project's time frame, budget, goals, responsibilities and purpose. And like a farmer harvesting crops, finishing a project requires enormous energy, possible only through the intense joy of seeing it become reality. And then another season comes, already begun in my roving mind.

Creativity: Details are only noticed when they are intended or when they are missed. They can be like an engagement ring or a stained shirt. In between they blend into the background, yet determine the impact of whether the business, event, design or system is good or great. I love this, I love connecting vision to reality through creativity. Designing how to lead someone around a room, through a system or into an idea is nirvana. It is these moments when I feel connected to the universe, with a sense of how beautiful all of creation can be.

No comments: